Monday, March 01, 2010

Ohno-Fast and Oh-So-Sloooooowwwww

Now that the Olympics are over, I am going into a bit of withdrawal for winter sports. Those speed skaters scare the hell out of me, yet I can’t take my eyes off of them. It’s beyond my understanding how anyone can move that fast on a slippery surface without falling down and bringing down everyone else around you. But they do. And then to top it off, the most decorated American skater of all has the last name “Ohno”, which is about as amusing bit of irony you could hope for.

Another sport I always find myself watching intently is curling. It is all so bizarre, with middle-aged guys sliding a giant teapot-shaped stone toward some equally big stones. Plus, the guys wear some magical sort of footware (not skates!) that allows them to sail here and there like feathers. Compared to the speed skaters, this is about as totally the opposite you could hope for. But it captures my attention every time. Also, these guys seem to be intent on making a fashion statement. Did you see the pants the Norwegian team was wearing? And then those fancy hairdo-s they were sporting. Some big styling there!

6 comments:

Amanda & Walker said...

I was amazed by the cross country skiers yesterday. They even have "pit stops" to change skies. And I thought only NASCAR had pit stops. Maybe those race car drivers should take notes from these guys cause they were able to change in under 8 seconds

Alice and Jay said...

OMG! I saw those curlers too! I don't know how I have lived this long without ever seeing this sport. Totally mesmerizing!!

Blumentopf said...

We should form a bobsled team for the next Olympics, with a pit stop of course!
TT

Eileen said...

It was a let down last night with no olympics. My favorite this go round was the aeirals event. You have got to be one crazy person to be in that event!

I didn't watch the curlers much this time but actually printed the rules out last olympics so I could understand the event and enjoy it.

Ok, looks like we can form a 4 man (person) bobsled team. Amanda and Alice are the young ones so they can do most of the running and pushing.

Betty said...

I will cheer all of you on and maybe Eileen can get Doug to coach your team.

Blumentopf said...

I want an aisle seat!!!