Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Definition of Playful

Last night, I dreamed that my little dog VCR was with me again. I was walking down the road when suddenly she appeared next to me, trotting proudly. She always loved being part of the pack when she was alive, and she was a good member. She never had a bad mood in her life and was always ready to overpower anyone with a large dollop of love. Even up to the last few months of her life, she was a playful soul. She enjoyed assuming a pouncing position, which usually meant she was going to pounce on my other dog, Agnes. Agnes always took it in stride. I think she always considered VCR to be her child, who, of course, was to be tolerated even when up to a lot of foolishness. At some point in my dream, I got into bed and she followed me. She curled up in the crook of my arm and immediately fell to sleep as I stroked her.

At that point, I awoke. For a long moment, I was lost in the cloud that forms in my head when I am half awake and half asleep. At first, I was exceedingly happy that VCR was with me again. But then the cloud began to evaporate and I realized that what I thought was VCR was nothing but a pillow in the crook of my arm.

Of course, that left me a little sad. But then I thought back to the entire dream and decided to take those thoughts with me as I went through the day. What a source of happiness!

No comments: