Thursday, February 18, 2010

Red, Of Course!

One thing that has always baffled me is nails, as in toe- and fingernails. When I search for a reason why we have them, the answer always comes up to be the same: to scratch. Just think: Evolution spent millions of years to give us something to scratch with. Yet, there’s something slightly frivolous and laughable about scratching, almost like burping.

I wonder if we will have them in a million years from now. Today, we humans do not seem to spend a lot of time scratching, so what’s the need of keeping 20 nails per person (well, in most cases 20)? Now that most of us are lice free (most of the time) and rarely get exposed to poison oak, you just have to ask the question: Why keep them? Perhaps the reason is simply that we need something to paint red, like a firetruck.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

While I am one girl who loves painted nails (red or hot pink), I can tell you have not lived in GA for a long time. We still need all our nails to do major scratching from all those mosquito, fire ant, damn bug, and other insect bites that plague us here and leave us with itchy red welts.

As far as the poision oak and ivy, nope...it hasn't gone anywhere. Its lurking just around the next tree or shrub hoping to get a chance to attack.

And what about those precious pups! Without our nails, how are they going to get quality belly and back rubs and scratches from us?

I think we'll still need those nails for many years to come so we can keep scratching (of course, there are some folks who don't need nails while they are out in public).

Excuse me a few seconds, gotta scratch before I can finish typing...

Blumentopf said...

Ha! Ha! Ha! Do I stand corrected! I suppose I have lost a lot of perspective now that I live in a country that rarely scratches (in public).
TT