Saturday, September 19, 2009

Loud, but ...

The apartment across the hall from mine is occupied by a very lively lady. She’s 40 years old or so and originates from Ghana. I have no problem with her, but she is very loud. However, it doesn’t bother me much because it is a very happy loudness.

It is simply impossible for her to do anything quietly. On weekend nights, I’ve resigned myself to lots of partying until around midnight. This goes on every Friday and Saturday night. Lots of friends, relatives and everyone else it seems drops by for a few hours.

I probably would not notice it so much if she shut the door to the apartment. But it’s a small 1-room apartment that can hold no more than 8 or 9 people (standing, not sitting), and 15 to 20 people always show up. The only way to accommodate them all is to open the door and let them spill into the hall. So, they are basically partying right outside my door.

Amazingly, none of these parties have generated any trouble. The partyers do emit a lot of good-natured laughing. Even though it is loud laughing, it is always in fun and devoid of meanness. Somehow, it makes me feel content, as if the world is indeed in perfect order. I occasionally fall asleep listening to it.

The amazing thing about it all is that no loud disagreements or fights break out. That’s why I have come to be amazed by lady who lives there. She must have a very strong talent for keeping human relationships running smoothly. I could probably learn something from her.

2 comments:

Betty said...

Maybe you should open your door one Friday night and see if they spill into your place. You would probably meet some very interesting people.

Blumentopf said...

hi betty. now that's a scary thought. i'm afraid they would stay til sunrise! TT