Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Big Giggle Behind the Pearly Gates

This morning, eight zillion tiny locusts invaded my head, all chirping in unison over and over and over again a pesky childhood jingle that I have not thought about in years:

Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,
Chopped up monkey meat,
Petrified parakeet,
And I forgot my spoon!
And I forgot my spoon!


I simply could not get rid of it. I tried all sorts of tricks, including trying to supplant it with a second plague of locusts chriping another childhood jingle:

I found a peanut,
I found a peanut,
I found a peanut just now,
Just now I found a peanut,
Found a peanut just now...

But the first plague of locust quickly devoured the peanut clan, and went right back to chirping, chirping, chirping their pesky song.

When I was a child, I remember our parents trying to prohibit us from singing either of those two jingles. They somehow found the little tunes ungodly.

But I never understood that logic. In my concept of God at that time (and now as well), he was not such a dour fellow. In fact, he enjoyed a good laugh, and probably spent lots of time figuring out new ways to make his fellow heavenly holies laugh at our expense. Hmm, now that I think of it, God is probably the one who set this jingle loose in my head. So, God, all I can say is "Ha Ha."

2 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

I know that you tire of my mindless comments but I cannot resist. I had to introduce my colleagues to the greasy grimy gopher guts. Can you believe that they grew up in south georgia and did not know that one. They were also not familiar with the- "Oh, I stuck my head in a little skunks hole....!"

Blumentopf said...

Hi Alice,

Please, please, please do NOT stop leaving your greatly valued comments. They do my soggy ego tons of good! Now as for those poor, culturally deprived colleagues of yours who were robbed of a full-fledged Southern childhood, sign them up for the Remedial Redneck Program at their local night school! The registration fee is a six-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon. /TT