Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Cold Shower of Truth

Some things just don't turn out the way they are supposed to. The funny thing about it all is that before you get to that point, you fear that life as you know it is going to disintegrate into a vast plain of war-torn, smoldering wreckage and dark nothingness if your plans don't come to fruition, yet once your greatest fear comes to pass, you quickly discover that life is still flowing forward in all of its richness, and it's dragging you along with it. Within a short amount of time, you find yourself so busy dealing with your day-to-day life that the thing you once feared the most becomes a vague spot in the past. If there's any lesson to be learned from this, I suppose it might simply be that life is bigger than you are, bigger than any of us are.

Now you might be asking what brought all this on. So, I will tell you: After staying up very late watching tennis last night, I OVERSLEPT this morning and was LATE TO WORK. Somehow I was expecting to get shot or excommunicated when I finally did haul my slovenly ass into the office, but once I got there, it turned out that not a single person had noticed my absence! I was greatly relieved, yet at the same time a bit miffed. The fact that nobody had noticed made me wonder if any of them ever notice at all when I am there! Or could I just go hang out in the local Starbucks all morning and then show up for work just in time for lunch? And it raises the question: Does anyone actually notice the work I do? Or am I simply getting a pay check month after month simply for clocking in and out of the office? Hmmm, I'm now going to log off for a while so that I can contemplate and digest all this newfound lack of importance...(just in case there is anyone out there at all who is actually reading this).

2 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

there is one person out here who checks this blog daily . The anticipation is almost unbearable as I wait for the site to pull up. When I see a new story, I believe that I can actually feel a tickle in my stomach.

Alice and Jay said...

Is tennis actually fun to watch?