Monday, February 23, 2009

The Sounds of the Fury

"drip......drip......drip"
The kitchen faucet is at it again. I lie here in the bed, asking myself 50, 51, 52 times why I didn't check the thing before I got all comfortable under the covers. After much moaning and groaning and finally accepting the fact that the hand of fate is simply not going to display a sudden act of mercy by turning the cold water knob just a hair tighter. Yes, that is one of the sounds in life that sends me into a quiet frenzy of madness. But there are also a few more:

The "ting! ting! ting!" as silverware strikes against porcelain as a large group of people around the dinner table politely dive into an otherwise splendid meal. Somebody, please, give them chopsticks!

The "beep! beep! beep!" as the laser printer screams that it is out of paper again. Our old office printer rarely did this because it held four times the number pages that our current one does. I'm sure my company had a good reason for upgrading to this newer model, but they aren't telling me.

The "tootle-loo! tootle-loo! tootle-loo!" (hmmm...have you noticed that all of these sounds come in sets of three...I am sure there must be a message of cosmic importance here, but please don't tell me) of the cell phone belonging to the young lady across the aisle from me on the subway. She purposely lets her phone ring a few more times and then whips it out importantly and begins talking so loud that there is no one in the cabin who does not know what's going on in her life.

The "click-click-click" of all my officemates working furiously at their computers. My own keyboard somehow seems silent unless I really concentrate on it. For some reason though, the lady sitting next to me is always complaining about how hard I bang away on my keyboard. I have absolutely no idea of what she is talking about!

No comments: