Friday, February 25, 2011

Watched Water

This one is about the kitchen faucet. I drink a lot of water, so I always keep a large bottle at hand, about 2 quarts. That frees me from having to run for a refill every half hour or so.

But filling the bottle can be quite trying owing to my impatience. Actually, filling the bottle only takes about 20 to 25 seconds. Yet that amount of time can be an eternity if you merely wait for the bottle to get full. To rein in my own impatience, I have come up with a little trick that makes the time fly by.

It’s quite simple: When I begin filling the bottle, I start to count from 20 down to 0. However, there’s one catch. Rather than counting down as fast as I can, I count slowly, perhaps only one number every three seconds.

Before I know it, the bottle is full. I rarely get past the number 12, and I find myself tempted to speed up my counting as fast as I can. But that is a no-no. As my mother always told me, watched water boils slowest.

3 comments:

Betty said...

You can always count fast and see how many times you can count backwards without messing up.

Alice and Jay said...

kinda frightening - I do the exact same thing! Do you think we were related in our last life too?

Blumentopf said...

Spooky, spooky, spooky. First flying dreams with live wires and now impatient counting backward. We need astrological counseling!