Monday, February 21, 2011

Don’t Call Me Hannibal

Of all the things to obsess about, the one thing surfing my gray matter lately is liver, and, specifically, calf liver. This happens about every two years. The craving shows up out of nowhere like an unwanted guest. I say unwanted because I hate to cook it. That’s such a messy job and the outcome never meets my expectations.

But a few months ago, I discovered that a Greek restaurant in my neighborhood serves calf liver. So when the craving popped up its head this time, I just went to the restaurant. The liver is wonderful, and cooked with onions (like it should be). Since then, I have been back two more times. Slowly, my craving is ebbing. I think one more time will kill it off for awhile. In the meantime, I will watch “Silence of the Lambs” at least once a week!

7 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

try it with a nice Chianti and some fava beans!

Alice and Jay said...

PS I have this same craving but NEVER with calf liver. Only the liver of a chicken suits me. Deep fried and crunchy. mmmmm

Amanda & Walker said...

ummm..I don't get these cravings, thank goodness. Just cravings for dark chocolate and good wine! Best diet for one getting ready for a wedding...haha!

Betty said...

I think Mark and Alice need some iron pills! I'm with Eileen about the chocolate, but I prefer Lucille's Hershey bar chocolate cake with a glass of milk.

Blumentopf said...

Your responses give me a good idea: chocolate covered liver. (Alice: You REALLY know Hannibal well enough to cite him word for word!)

Alice and Jay said...

That is a disturbing thought.

Blumentopf said...

...or even better, chocolate covered chicken livers, or liver-flavored chocolate (for the little doggies, of course).