Sunday, April 04, 2010

Of Soles and Popes

Pretty soon, two youngish ladies will pack their bags, board the plane, and fly to the land of colloseums and cappuccinos. They better bring comfortable sneakers because the best way to get around is by using your own two feet. Personally, I think I will take a taxi. They need the business.

The two ladies will find temptation waiting for them on every city block. All types of temptations, some for your mouth, some for your body. Fashion is all-important here. Looking good is a way of life. After all, the city of Milan is only a few hours a way.

And not too far away awaits the pope and the lovely St. Peter’s dome. From the outside, it all looks so easy. Just look and see. But if you want to get the best view of all, be prepared to hike up several hundred steps, some through narrow passageways. Only the determined and fit can meet this challenge.

While this is happening, I will take the opposite direction into the church cellar. The bodies of lots of former popes lay there in waiting, a trip through history, a lot of it filled with intrigue and politics. Some popes led very discussion-worthy lives. But I will try not to bore the two ladies with all this trivia. Instead, they will get the chance to stand exactly where Julius Caesar did before he met his fate. So make sure to pack some sturdy sneakers!

9 comments:

Eileen said...

Only nine more sleeps till we board the plane! Looking so forward to seeing you and hearing all the trivia you have for us! You are never boring!

Betty said...

I understand that Italy has the worst internet problems in all of Europe, but hope one of the three of you will be able to post pictures during the visit.

Blumentopf said...

You are so right, Betty. It's a hit-and-miss thing there. But with Eileen along to troubleshoot, I hope we have no problems. We will buy her a bottle of good wine for all her efforts!
TT

Alice and Jay said...

I can't wait! I've been armadillo chasing in texas just to get in shape for those steps! AND I live for those fascinating stories that you, the master wordsmith, weave! Meet you for lunch next wednesday!

Blumentopf said...

Try some armadillo soup while you're out there! Of course, I hear that it tastes like chicken!
TT

Amanda & Walker said...

I am going to be in someone's suitcase when yall unpack!

Blumentopf said...

Just wait until you see what is inside that big fat suitcase!

Alice and Jay said...

I wonder if there are any scarves in that bag??? :)

Blumentopf said...

Yes, but they smell like (my) head. Wash thoroughly before wearing!