Monday, April 26, 2010

Eating the eaters

I just saw a program about a fish farmer in Africa who has helped to bring the problem of malaria under control. He raises carp in his ponds, and the baby carp fill themselves with mosquito larvae. This has reduced the mosquito population to such a low level that malaria is virtually no longer a problem. I have to commend the farmer on his entrepreneurialism. Anyone who can get the upper hand on mosquitoes is worthy of being beknighted.

I could have used the fellow’s help when I was in Venice last week. Every night, one or more mosquitoes would show up and pester us while sleeping. We slept with the windows open because the hotel had not yet put their air conditioning service into operation for the busy season. Fortunately, the nights were cool enough that an open window made for cool and pleasant sleeping, except for the mosquitoes. By the time I got home, I had mosquito bites on my forearms and face, which were the only parts of my body exposed from under my sheets and covers. The mosquitoes went to work on them. I tried to sleep with all of my body, including my hands and face, under the sheet, but I inevitably exposed some parts regardless how hard I tried not to. So now I look like I have a rash all over my face and my forearms. Next time, I suggest that the hotel set up a small carp pond in their garden. The carp will quickly grow fat from an ample supply of mosquitoes and larvae, just the thing to put on a restaurant menu. That way, the cycle is complete.

2 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

A carp pond maintenance schedule may send the concierge over the edge! Eileen and I looked like we had the measles by the time we arrived in Atlanta. Missing your company immensely! We MUST go again soon.

Blumentopf said...

Yes indeed! I am already having Alice withdrawal symptoms, measles and all!