Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rediscovery

For decades, my life has been free of something that I thought I would never miss again: peanut butter. After childhood, I simply quit eating it. It was never a special treat for me, and it certainly wasn’t the healthiest thing in the world to eat.

But the past just roped me back in. While at the grocery store lately, I discovered that they had dedicated a small part of one shelf to real American peanut butter, both creamy and crunchy.

So I bought a jar and also invested in a jar of strawberry jam. I rushed home, mixed together several large dollops of the two of them. I made myself a sandwich, and was amazed at how satisfying it was. Just downright satisfying, as rewarding as a succulent piece of steak.

Since then, peanut butter has again become a regular part of my life. It’s such as easy food, just waiting for you anytime of the day or night. Of course, there’s the horrible downside of extra inches on my waistline, and this is a challenge I will have to face up to pretty soon. But, until then, I am going to spoil myself as much as I can.

9 comments:

Amanda & Walker said...

I am not sure if I could function without peanut butter. I often eat it by the spoonful.

Alice and Jay said...

I prefer the crunchy when eating it by the spoonful(tablespoon, of course) and the creamy is dreamy on a sandwich.

Blumentopf said...

Now I feel far less guilty endulging in such sinful pleasures, knowing that I have such two beautiful and congenial ladies sitting beside me in the boat!

TT

Betty said...

Try making a pb&j sandwich on cinnamon raisin bread. It is almost like a dessert. Enjoy!

Blumentopf said...

Ahhhhhh, Betty! I have never tried that one but I will first thing tomorrow as soon as the bakery opens and I can get some fresh raisen bread. Such simple pleasures are what life is for.
TT

Eileen said...

While I always had peanut butter in the house for Doug and the girls, I very rarely ate it myself. Now I eat it quite often. In fact, many mornings I have toast with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast (along with a pot of coffee).

Blumentopf said...

It sounds like we are all getting more and more alike the older we get. We are getting older, aren't we?

Alice and Jay said...

ummm...heck no! We are NOT getting older.

Blumentopf said...

I somehow suspected that...and that we are somehow just getting freeer (is that a word?):