Monday, October 26, 2009

Egyptian Wonder

I’m always amazed at how much ancient civilizations achieved, often leaving us to pale in comparison. And I am even more amazed at their feats if you consider that they did not have one of our daily stimulants to get them going: coffee.

Mornings are the worst part of my day. When I first wake up, the Monster of Morning Dread is usually sitting right on top of me. He’s a heavy, gruesome fellow made of rusty metals that grind and clack as the gears of his innards churn and turn. He’s also part animal, almost bearlike, a sulky, nasty, mean-spirited bear who does his best to make me stay in bed with the covers over my head.

The only thing that can really conquer him is a large cup of coffee. Why that works so much better than orange juice, a cola, or tea is probably due to the large wallop of caffeine that it delivers. Somehow, coffee subdues that monster, driving him back into the walls of my apartment and out of sight until the next day.

So the fact that the ancient Egyptians got so much done without daily coffee is amazing. Perhaps they didn’t have a Morning Monster that came to roost on their shoulders as soon as the sun came up. Perhaps drinking all that Nile water scared him out of town and into exile in the desert. If only I could do the same!

6 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

Egyptians didn't need coffee because they were smart enough to get the aliens to come and build the pyramids for them while they relaxed along the Nile!

Blumentopf said...

I think you are on to something there! We weren't so smart when we had our chance in Roswell.

Eileen said...

How do you know that they did not have coffee? I'm just curious to know if they really did not have coffee...maybe they had other forms of caffenine that were much better than coffee???

Now I have "Walk Like an Egyptian" in my head!

Blumentopf said...

Wikipedia! It told me that the first knowledge of coffee turned up in 9th century Ethiopia when a guy there noticed that the local goats got very enlivened after they ate some red berries that eventually became coffee. So that's straight from the goat's mouth!

Alice and Jay said...

Maybe they were like the Peruvians and just chewed on cacao leaves cause once something comes from the goat's mouth....that is that!

Blumentopf said...

HA HA HA HA HA!!!! The next time I go to starbucks, I'm going to order one of those goat mochas!