Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Burning Content

I remember as a child not liking tomatoes. They left a flat, watery taste in my mouth, and their texture was somehow unsatisfying. I tried to learn to like them, but with not much luck. At some point, I just started avoiding them unless they were forced upon me.

But then in early adulthood, 20 years of age or so, all that changed. For some reason, tomatoes suddenly filled my mouth with a light and sparkling flavor. Since then I have always enjoyed them immensely.

Now something similar has happened with candles. Up to this point in life, I found candles bothersome, cloying and illogical. After all, why use a candle when the wonder of modern lighting is at your fingertips.

But now that has changed as well. Burning a candle after I come home from work gives me a great sense of contentment, erasing a lot of the abrasiveness encountered throughout the day. I even like scented ones, and scented ones of all colors. Almost ridiculously, I find myself shopping for them, looking for new scents, different sizes, different burn techniques. Right now, I have two different aromas burning, one peach and one called Fresh Breeze (now that leaves your imagination wide open, doesn’t it?).

Candlelight is certainly comforting, making bulb light feel somehow corrosive. Perhaps there’s some deep-seated behavior from our cavepeople days that makes this feel so rewarding. After all, an apartment or house is little more than a glorified cave, and a little candlelight never did any of them any harm.

8 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

the flame is hypnotic-a slow and gentle glow that slowly tickles your soul into a place that we rarely find in the light of day. Sort of like dreaming without sleeping. I love that flame!

Alice and Jay said...

I used to have a cat named Otto that loved candles too! He caught his tail on fire several times trying to snuggle up to the candles.

Blumentopf said...

What a cat!! Sort of reminds me of that friend of yours who sold his car so that he could afford to put gas in it

Eileen said...

This cat must have been your post Tigger, Tigger 1, 2, 3, etc. era.
Seriously, though, I love candles, too. The flames they emit are so mesmerizing, especially when you have a good bottle of red wine, dark chocolate, stars, and a full moon! (Plus some pups running around!)

Eileen said...

Alice, is Otto the cat who climbed the wall and ripped your wallpaper?

Blumentopf said...

HMMM...maybe we also share the late-in-life-candle-appreciation gene. I promise I only burn them one end at a time. Alice, you always did have the craziest animals (go otto!):

Alice and Jay said...

Eileen,
YES indeed ,this was my wallpaper ripping cat!

Blumentopf said...

OTTO THE RIPPER!