Sunday, August 16, 2009

A-hunting we shall go!

It seems like 90% of the entries in this blog are about food, and here's another one:

One activity that I really enjoy is eating pistachios. Yes, they taste great, but that's not the only reason. There's a non-nutritional aspect that is just as satisfying about it all.

If you want to be a truly efficient pistachio eater, the proper way to go about it is to pour the bag of pistachios into one bowl and then use a second, empty bowl to throw the shells into after you get the nut out.

But I prefer the way that makes you work a bit: Just use one bowl, i.e. throw the empty shells back into the same bowl that the uneaten nuts are still in. Sooner or later, you are going to reach a point where finding the uneaten nuts among the empty shells becomes a challenge.

That's the part I really enjoy. As the number of empty shells overtakes the uneaten nuts, I am forced to hunt through the hulls until I find another uneaten nut. The longer this goes on, the harder the task becomes, yet the more I enjoy it. Finding just one more pistachios becomes my one and only objective in life. I search and search, and, oh great joy!, I find yet one more.

Ultimately, of course, all of this has to come to an end. There reaches a point where you do indeed find the very last pistachio. Yes, there is a slight sense of disappointment that comes with it, but, on the other hand, I feel like I have accomplished something -- something important! And the hunt was so much fun!

5 comments:

Amanda & Walker said...

You should ask Charkee and Kolle about eating those. They got into a bag one day ate the beach and had a nice little snack.

Blumentopf said...

Ahhhhhhhh, to be like a dog is my highest goal. I wonder if those two would growl at me???

Eileen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eileen said...

They would not growl at you; they'd probably lick you to death. They would sit with you hoping you would crack the pistachios for them and feed them. They would each wait their turn. You take a bite, Kolle next, then Charks...then the cycle starts over. They are very patient, especially if they get people food, which is off limits. I guess that's why they got into the pistachos bag when we were at the beach.

Blumentopf said...

Somehow, I like that. I would probably break the no-people-food rule at every meal!