Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ring-Tailed Fun

On Saturdays, I spend much of the day watching animal shows on TV. I know the shows are targeted at children, but they hold my attention for hours on end. And one of my favorite animals is the coati. They are spunky, curious, intelligent, nimble, creative, much like one of my sisters (no names mentioned, of course). They scoot around with their tails stuck high in the air as if equipped with antennas to detect other tribes of their own species.

Even more fascinating is when the whole troop of them scurries off in the same direction, like a bunch of ballet dancers or Navy seals that had a few too many espressos. They seem to enjoy being part of a larger group, and when a bunch of them teams up, you get the feeling that nothing within a 300-yard radius of their group goes unnoticed. And if one of their sentries lets out a warning screech, all of them disband in a split second and are out of sight within 3 seconds.

But as much as I would like to have a one, I will not intentionally sound out the market for household coatis. These little creatures are made for the outdoors and the wild, and captivity would rob them of their little souls. Nevertheless, if someone out there comes across an orphaned baby coati without any hope of a coati parent, give me a call. I do an excellent imitation of a mama coati.

No comments: