Monday, March 16, 2009

The Fruits of My Labor

Work was very busy, very demanding today. My desk stayed hectic with an average of three jobs going on at once for the entire day, and with an average of three people in my office at any given time. Yet my brain kept switching off and zooming to absurd thoughts that had nothing to do with work. Perhaps I should be worried about this behavior, but it's been going on so long -- specifically, about 45 years -- that I don't even fight it any more.

It seems that the more I have to do, the more my mind wanders off to things that have no bearing whatsoever on my work life, nor to any other aspects of my life as far as I can tell. Conversely, the less busy I am, the fewer of these interfering signals bounce off my antennas.

In fact, when I have nothing whatsoever to do, my mind is just as blank as it can be: no bothersome signals to detract me from what I am doing, i.e. nothing.

So there I was today with so many people wanting so much from me, and all I could think was...What would be like to live inside a kiwi? I could hollow out my own little space inside, make myself a little bed and chair out of strips of faux kiwi leather snatched from the outside of the fruit. I could plug in a tiny halogen lamp to illuminate the cool green walls of my apartment. Tiny kiwi seeds would offer themselves as the perfect material for creating some imaginative kiwi art for those green walls, just to make things homey. And if things ever got too crowded for comfort, I could upgrade my digs to something even more exciting -- the multi-cavity interior of a fancier fruit: a pomegranate!

No comments: