Thursday, June 26, 2008

Egg White Lies

Nothing more than a few stragglers
of graying snow and you're late again.
I order anyway:
bacon, grits, biscuits, two poachies.

Ten minutes and I'm served
like I had no time to kill:
grits in center, eggs an inch apart at one edge,
bacon and biscuits on a second plate.

I drop a biscuit in the middle of the grits,
lay one strip of bacon opposite the eggs,
one strip each above them.
The waitress gives me a dirty look.

My eyes fall back on the plate.
Round yellow eyes stare at the ceiling,
waiting for my fork to vent their tears.

But I'm in no hurry –
time to test the spillway
of breakfast art and waitress indulgence.

ring-ring

"I'll never make it there on these roads," you say.
"Let's reschedule."

"No problem," I reply,
recalling the last flake
fell a week ago.

No comments: