Sunday, May 31, 2009

Dreams on a Clay Canvas

My world was sent into a tailspin today: Rafael Nadal lost at the French Open, even before he reached the finals. It's not important who he lost to (okay, it was Soderling). All that matters is that he lost. He probably would have also lost to Hanescu, or Cilic, or Acasuso, if he had been playing any of them. It doesn't matter. He lost.

He must have been having a really bad day at the office, because he not only lost, he played poorly. I kept thinking that he would turn it around sooner or later, as he has done umpteen times in the past. But he couldn't. The mistakes seemed to have control of him, not the other way around. I kept thinking that he had been taken over by my own fate in life, with his own demolished before a shocked tennis public.

I saw an interview of Soderling following the match. He appeared self-assured that he had won the match simply by besting Nadal at his own game. Okay, I cannot take anything away from the fact that Soderling won, but his game was nothing out of the ordinary, and I doubt that he will be able to beat a really on Roger Federer or, perhaps just as likely, Andy Murray, or my as-of-today-favorite for this year, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

BTW, last year's ladies' winner, Ana Ivanovic, also lost. I suppose this simply wasn't the year for repeat winners.

Hmmm, I suppose that I myself must be doing something right, however: Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to spend so much time obsessing about such inconsequential things. I'm even considering taking up oil painting. I've already got the first two paintings completed, well, in my head at least. All I've got to do is get started. But that shouldn't be any harder than tackling a blank clay tennis court, should it? Give me a brush.

6 comments:

Betty said...

Let's hope that your paintings turn out like Lindsey's and not mine. Like you I have a vision, however, the brush just won't put it on canvas for me.

Eileen said...

I was stunned that Nadal lost. The French Open will not be the same without him.

Maybe you'd like to join Amanda and her friend, Katy, on their outing tomorrow night. Check out the place they are going: https://www.sipsnstrokes.com/

Amanda & Walker said...

I have this plan that I am going to be a great painter tomorrow night. As mama mentioned...I am going to attempt paiting at a studio where you are allowed to "sip" on any adult or non adult beverage of your choice (you must bring your own drink though) while someone teaches you how to paint. I hope these are so good teachers and can wave their magic wand on me because I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler.

Blumentopf said...

Amanda, that is one of the most innovative ideas I have heard of in ages! I want to be among the first to see the products of your labor there!

Alice and Jay said...

Ok you guys, I have considerd the "sip and stroke" idea for Sasser but I have also put a lot of thought into a few other ventures that could be lucrative-
"sip and stitch", Betty could lead this one with her crochet talents. "Sip and stretch", Eileen could teach this with her history of good exercise habits.
"Sip and talk shit", I believe that either Mark or myself could teach this one with all of our blogging experience. ...and the list could go on and on...

Blumentopf said...

Oh Alice! I just spotted this one after so many months have gone by! You know all of us so well. And I will gladly be your BS King if you will be my BS Queen! TT