Monday, May 10, 2010

1 Horsepower per Hour

One thing I have never appreciated adequately is the floor under my feet. A lot of hard work and creative energy goes into floor design. Function has to be balanced with art. Occasionally I see a floor that really blows me away. It is indeed a thing of beauty, especially when furnishings are kept to a minimum in order not to recklessly hide the thought and success that went into designing the floor. Another thing that makes me appreciate a good floor is the money that went into it. A high quality and properly designed floor doesn’t come without a price. In fact, a very steep price.

Personally, though, I could never convince myself that investing in a floor to be envied was worthwhile. There’s no one I need to impress, and most of the people I know are also like me: They never adequately appreciate a masterpiece floor.

Instead, I invest in pragmatic things, like the hand cart I use to go grocery shopping with. Rather than dragging heavy sacks from the grocery store to my apartment, I spent a few bucks on the hand cart, which I fill up with groceries and simply pull behind me. I know it makes me look like an odd little old man, but, after all, that’s what I am and I am glad to own up to the truth. The only thing that surprises me about it is that it took me so long to buy it.

After worrying about how it might spoil my image, I finally realized that no one else cares. So that was my personal hurdle to get over. Now I can shop for all the heavy things I want, such as two-liter bottles of Coke Zero, something that I never knew that I needed until getting hooked on them during my last trip to Italy with Cousin A. and Sister E. Somehow, everything in life seems to fit into the overall puzzle that is continuously taking shape.

4 comments:

Alice and Jay said...

I love it when you find a piece of your puzzle that you didn't even realize was missing!

Blumentopf said...

Yes, those are sweet moments indeed!

Eileen said...

There is still one piece missing in the puzzle...a little four legged canine.

Blumentopf said...

...yes, I am so tempted, so tempted. Soon, i think, the time will be right.